Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tile Coaster tutorial

So first off, I'm a bad crafter simply because I can't find the original post that I got this fabulous idea from.  I know, I know.  Shame on me.

But we're going to be making these bad boys

It is a requirement if you are married to a Bama fan to have at least one thing houndstooth.  Viola,  a coaster!

Yes sir, tile coasters!

All you need are the following cast of characters:



  • Mod Podge
  • A clear glaze to make them water-proof (I used Krylon Clear Glaze, anything works though)
  • A paper cutter
  • tiles (Mine cost $.36 at Lowes and were 4x4)
  • Scrapbook paper in your choice patterns and colors, cut into squares that are 3.75x3.75
  • Black felt for the backs
  • Sponge brush
  • Hot glue gun or E6000



Alright! Crafters! Start Your Engines!








First what you want to do is apply a layer of Mod Podge over the surface of the coaster like so





Then you lay your scrapbook paper square on top and apply another coat of Mod Podge and let it dry.  After that layer is dry, add another layer of Mod Podge.

Yea, I didn't take a picture of that step.  Shoot me.  Sorry to disappoint.





After it is completely dry, it should look like 'dis.










At this point, I had my own little crafter in training eyeing my every move like a hawk.

I think she might have also wanted her table back.

You can also see in that picture all eight of my coasters drying like good little children.

Then, if you are like me, it will take you a few good weeks to actually spray them with the glaze.

I sprayed them, outside of course, with two layers.  I made sure that I got the sides the best that I could as well.

Once the glaze has completely dried, take your glue gun or E6000 and glue the felt onto the backs of the coasters.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd if you are like me, they take up residence not on your end tables or coffee tables but your sewing desk.  Hey, I'm just keepin' it real.  I'm not sure the husbeast would know what to do if a coaster ended up on our end table.

I'm thinking gifts.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0